Prevention and Epidemiology investigates Notifiable Diseases and Conditions to prevent and reduce the spread of illness. Surveillance of reportable diseases permits the division to take prompt preventive measures.
The primary responsibilities of this division are:
- investigate cases of notifiable diseases/conditions
- investigate outbreaks of any kind
- investigate emerging infectious diseases
- collaborate with the local medical community
- collaborate with Alabama Department of Public Health
OUTBREAKS OF ANY KIND ARE REPORTABLE WITHIN 24 HOURS (This includes schools, daycares, long term care facilities, foodborne illnesses, etc.)! An outbreak is defined as two or more similarly ill people from separate households with a common exposure.
Fast Facts for Common Illnesses & Exclusion Criteria
Reporting Notifiable Diseases and Conditions training is available upon request by calling us at 930-1440.
For more information on Prevention and Epidemiology call 930-1440.
For afterhours reporting please call 933-9110.